Tuesday, September 18, 2007

N-Word Royalty

From Seko:
Now, I've listened to a lot of recordings which included the word recently buried by the NAACP. My grand-parents and parent's generation used it hatefully and embracingly (to later blame it's popularization on Hip-Hop). I've beat up folk for using the term towards me (It didn't matter who called me that, it was a problem..... Daddy didn't raise no N-Words and Mummy didn't love no N-Words). I've been upset with my elders for using the term in front of and when describing my kids. I have spoken for years of the differences between so-called Black people and N-Words......
So..... Wifey wants to see the famous controversial play Emperor Jones in London. Great ! I didn't expect to hear more N-Words than visiting a group for hyper-tourettes diseased Klansman. I guess I'm getting a little older and wiser. As we left the theatre I met eyes with other soul-folk family members who seemed a little bothered and at least a thousand Caucasian family members who were laughing, smiling, and applauding the (truthfully excellent) performance. I can't down the playwright. I can't down the play, which reminded me of a Afrikan version of Scrooge's X-Mass story as the main character is plagued by visions which seem like ghosts. Yet I felt like sayin' "Mother-F'er stop ! You gonna' F it up for all of us." Word.
I think it just happened on the wrong day. Wifey and I had visited the House of Parliament's exhibition on the Abolition of African-enslavement in British territories as well as a exhibit in the National Museum on the history of the British impact on African-enslavement and the movement to stop what the Brits' begun. My mum (mom) used to tell me she couldn't get past the cuss'(curse) words in some of the music I listened to, therefore wasn't able to appreciate the creativity. Dad used to tell me that he didn't want to listen to anything that cussed (cursed) him out. I think I'm turning into my parents. Word. Funny thing is, I know I'll be "bumpin' my (revolutionary) music" whenever my kids aren't around; N-Words and all. I know, however, that I'm not going to enjoy some songs the way I used too. It's interesting what we can accept when it's presented in a format we enjoy. Quick, tell ya' partner "Raise your standards, I'm raising mine."

2 comments:

Unknown said...

its ill cause after we educate ourselves on the damaging use of the n word, we have to educate everyone else.

Unknown said...

bout time we get some pics