Wednesday, September 19, 2007

You complete me.

From Seko:

We have been a bit reluctant to post this...... We were almost robbed. We came into our (Best Western Phoenix) hotel room Saturday after the wedding and reception and were dead tired. Thursday nite' we were involved in a Nigerian custom that lasted as long as the Egyptian empires. Friday we went to the reception hall and helped set the room up from 4:30 p.m. until 9:30 p.m. without a 'lift' (elevator) and everything for the 250+ people had been left by the caterer downstairs outside of the Harry-Potterish looking school for girls (see photo). The friends and family arrived to help set-up the room at about 6:15 p.m. so I moved a great amount of things myself. We didn't get in on Friday until about 1:00 a.m. Saturday we made the broom, made it late-but-early to the beautiful wedding, danced at the reception, then helped clean and break down the reception hall. We got in at about 2:00 A.M. and didn't go right to sleep. Sunday morning I awoke to Rhonda screaming "WHO'S IN THIS ROOM ??? AHHHHHH ! THEIR STEALING FROM US ! WHERE'S THE COMPUTER ???" (Which we were using to watch DVD's last night on the hotel room's desk) I jump out the bed bewildered and pulled my senses together. I'm running down the hall towards the 'lift' (elevator) barefoot in my pajamas yelling"CALL THE FRONT DESK ! CALL THE FRONT DESK !" Then my criminal mind kicks in and I think "If I stole something I wouldn't take the elevator." So I rush to the stairwell where I hear running about two floors down. I get to the bottom of the stairs almost falling three times going round the corners and I hear the fire escape door slam open leading to the street. Once I got to look out the door all I could see was a crowded street. Then the receptionist, a polite and pretty Ethiopian with a Brit accent asks me "Did you open the door sir ?" I told her someone stole my laptop. She noted how she had seen two youth walk into the hotel and directly onto the lift who seemed suspicious. She then said "I sent my 'coolie' (slang for a dark skinned East Indian) after them. Then an East Indian guy runs into the area asking"What, what, what - I heard the alarm." He then tells her he couldn't find the boys. I decided to rush upstairs to Wifey realizing that I'm very under-dressed and the Sister said she would call the police. As I get back to the room we find the laptop in the ground near the bathroom and the front door while the cord is still plugged into the wall on the other side of the room stretched as it was pulled tight while our would-be-thief ran out of the room. Rhonda then showed me the key we left in the door last night. When we arrived in our room last night we picked up the towels the cleaners left for us and forgot to take the key out. Rhonda's screams scared the thieves and woke me up. Rhonda only woke up as she heard footsteps and thought I was walking round' the room. (Our three star hotel only had single bed rooms so we are seeping in separate beds) Then she looks over and sees that I'm in the other bed snoring and that's what scared her. What's weird, or blessed, is that I'm the one that hears sounds at night and can tell which one of our kids get out of the bed before they even come into our room at night. The most High has it worked out: when I'm unable, she's able. She completes me. Quick - Tell ya' partner "You complete me."

No comments: